The Duapa Challenge is a social innovation support competition providing seed capital and business support for early stage viable social enterprise. The programme, as part of our contributions to the social enterprise ecosystem, seeks to promote economic growth, private sector development and youth employment through enterprise.
Over the past two years, the competition achieved its aim in identifying and supporting brilliant social enterprises like Trotro Tractor and CowTribe who are in operation and growing.
The aim of this competition is to:
- identify and support idea and growth stage social enterprises from tertiary institutions in Ghana.
- generate and support student entrepreneurship with a focus on social entrepreneurship.
- bring together idea and growth stage social entrepreneurs to connect, learn and develop synergies.
- provide seed capital and support to the winning social enterprise from ideation to prototype/market entry phase.
- create general awareness about social enterprises in Ghana.
CORE TARGET AREAS
This edition of the Duapa Challenge seeks to draw social entrepreneurs in tertiary institutions from the following sectors:
- Social focused Fintech
- Green & Renewable Energy
- Ethical Design & Manufacturing
In this edition dubbed “The Campus Duel”, the competition will focus on student social enterprises in the following 10 Ghanaian tertiary institutions:
- University of Ghana
- Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration
- Ashesi University
- University of Professional Studies
- Knutsford University College
- Lancaster University
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- Central University College
- University of Cape Coast
- Catholic University College
Each of these institutions will have a team each of three or less students representing them in each stage of the competition. The teams will be required to develop and pitch their business ideas. The winning team will be awarded seed funding for their business, business incubation, training and support by the British Council and social enterprise partners.